dx-sync-module synchronizes changes in files with Magnolia repositories.
Also it provides a set of tasks and strategies for updating Magnolia resources.
So you can preview your changes on the website as soon as you save your files.
Creating, updating, deleting and renaming files operations are supported.
Supported resource types
The following resource types are supported at the moment:
- CSS files (css and processedCss resources)
- Freemarker template scripts (stored in templates workspace)
- Files stored in DMS
- Zip archives (extracted to DMS document trees)
- Module files (from mgnl-files resource folder, including Freemarker and JSP templates)
- Groovy scripts
- Groovy classes
Download the latest module version.
Note: it is going to be available as a Maven artefact soon.
Go to Downloads page and download the latest version of dx-sync-module.
First, you need to install jnotify http://jnotify.sourceforge.net/ library to your servlet container, including both java and native library parts.
This library is used to get notifications from the file system about file updates.
You can download it from here:
If you use Tomcat you can:
- Put jnotify-0.93.jar to Tomcat's lib directory
- For Windows, 32-bit JRE: put jnotify.dll to Tomcat's bin directory
- For Windows, 64-bit JRE: put jnotify_64bit.dll to Tomcat's bin directory and rename the file to jnotify.dll
- For Linux, 32-bit JRE: put jnotify.so to Tomcat's bin directory
- For Linux, 64-bit JRE: put jnotify_64bit.so to Tomcat's bin directory and rename the file to libjnotify.so
- For Mac OS X, refer to jnotify documentation how to obtain native library and put it to the place Tomcat can find it.
Steps are very similar for other servlet containers.
Then you need to add dx-sync-module to your project.
If you're going to use File-based configuration, you can just put dx-sync-module.jar to Magnolia'a WEB-INF/lib directory.
If you need advanced features, including DxModuleVersionHandler, you need to add dx-sync-module to your project.
Put dx-sync-module to your local Maven repository:
mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=com.devexperts.web -DartifactId=dx-sync-module -Dversion=1.1.2 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=dx-sync-module-1.1.2.jar -DgeneratePom=true
mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=com.devexperts.web -DartifactId=dx-sync-module -Dversion=1.1.2 -Dpackaging=jar -Dclassifier=sources -Dfile=dx-sync-module-1.1.2-sources.jar -DgeneratePom=false
Add the following dependency to your Maven project:
Version Handler based configuration
You can specify resources which are to be synchronized in version handler for your module.
In this case
- Specify DxModuleVersionHandler as a base class of your module version handler
- Pass folder where your module is placed as a parameter to the DxModuleVersionHanlder constructor.
- Specify resources which need synchronization in your module version handler constuctor.
DxModuleVersionHandler may work in 2 modes.
- Development mode.
This mode is in use when -DdevPlatform=true JVM argument is specified. In this case all changes in source files are instantly propagated to the running Magnolia CMS.
- Production mode.
This mode is used by default. All resources are synchronized on module start up using usual Magnolia tasks.
Note: you don't need jnotify library in Production mode.
You can specify which files are to be synchronized in a configuration file.
Synchronization is performed on a directory basis. Each directory that is needed synchronization should be listed in the configuration file.
Example configuration file:
2 parameters should be specified for this module.
- dx.sync.sources - path to the root of source files. Directory paths in the configuration file are relative to this path.
By default, the directory which is parent to Tomcat location is used (for example, if Tomcat is located under C:\work\project\apache-tomcat-6.0.32, the directory C:\work\project will be used).
- dx.sync.config - location of the configuration file.
By default, sync.csv in directory which is parent to Tomcat location is used (for example, if Tomcat is located under C:\work\project\apache-tomcat-6.0.32, the file C:\work\project\sync.csv is used).
Synchronizing module resources
DxModuleVersionHandler has an additional functionality of synchronizing resources on start-up.
You can use it instead of writing BootstrapSingleModuleResource tasks in your version handler and updating your module version.
All XML files you need to be bootstraped can be placed under /dx-resources folder in module resources.
Files under resource directory /dx-resources/keepUpToDate (including subdirectories) will be bootstraped on module start up, if they have been changed.
Files under resource directory /dx-resources/installOnce (including subdirectories) will be bootstraped on module start up, if a corresponding node doesn't exist in repository.
For files under resource directory /dx-resources/remove (including subdirectories) a check if a corresponding node exists in repository will be performed on module start up. If it is, it will be removed.
Note that DxModuleVersionHandler usually works significantly faster than Boostrap*** tasks, and you don't need to write code and update module versions.
The module is released under GPL license. Contact us if you need this module under different license.
We really appreciate your feedback, feature requests, bug reports or any kind of comments.
Contact us at email@example.com